Right Side is a community based, democratic, human rights defender NGO, founded in January 2016. It is the first NGO, run by and for trans people in Armenia.
“Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO General Assembly is the main decision-making body and the political meeting of more than 200 trans community members and has the following authorities:
- Including new members and suspending memberships
- Electing Board, Financial Control Committee and the President
- Defining the organization’s strategic directions
- Approving of annual financial and narrative reports etc.
Our Board is composed of seven trans activists, trans sex workers and queer activists who govern the organization.
The President based on the statutes manages the organization’s projects and the secretariat.
Financial Control Committee is composed of three members that supervise the NGO’s annual financial budgets, cash flow, bank accounts, financial transactions, contracts and registered material values.
Our Secretariat is currently composed of 7 people representing LGBTQ community, including sex workers.
“Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO is expected to prepare a three year advocacy plan 2018-2020. The development of the advocacy plan is funded by ECOM in the frameworks of the project “Improving access of trans community to healthcare and legal services in Armenia”.
The overall goal of this consultancy is to develop a clear advocacy plan for “Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO, which will guide advocacy plans and implementation in line with strategy up to 2020 with government and civil society
.Scope of Work
- The scope of work for the Consultant will include but not be limited to:
Work with key staff and board to develop an advocacy plan that will enable with “Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO to identify a niche role, milestones, and strategies to influence implementation of key policies and decision making;
- Through a consultative process and application of an appropriate tool of analysis, identify focus areas and develop advocacy objectives and key result areas for the same;
- Develop an overall advocacy strategy and implementation plan based on the policy analysis, planning, and partnership mapping focusing on key priority areas;
- Present and seek input on the draft advocacy strategy and implementation plan with Staff, Board and other internal and external stakeholders to ensure proposed strategy is appropriately linked to roles, capacities, and priorities;
- Develop an overall advocacy strategy and implementation plan based on the policy analysis, planning, and partnership mapping focusing on key priority areas
- Facilitate a workshop on Advocacy planing, which will be held in December 2017;
- Facilitate two focus groups with trans communities in December 2017;
- Draft an finalize reports from focus group and submit to the “Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO;
- Draft and finalize the Advocacy plan and submit to the “Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO;
- A three-year advocacy plan
- Report on the process including stakeholder consultations, focus groups and workshops
This assignment is expected to be carried out for a period of 10-days from December 2017- January 2017.
The Consultant will report directly to the president of the “Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO. “Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO will provide relevant background documents necessary for the assignment. “Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO shall be responsible for the coordination of meetings and other activities under the Consultancy.
- Academic Qualifications
Academic degree in a relevant field in the area of planning, management, public policy, political science, sociology, development studies or in other related area.
- At least five years professional experience in advocacy planning;
- Prior working experience on transgender issues, human rights, gender equality, STI/HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health and rights is an added advantage;
- Demonstrated experience in working with (non)government local/international partners and other stakeholders in public sector.
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- High level written and oral communications skills in Armenian and English;
- Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with government and development partners;
- Skills in facilitation of stakeholder engagements/workshops;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;Experience in research, policy development, management and programming-related work.
Conflict of interest and conduct
If a conflict of interest arises, the parties shall inform each other as soon as practicable.
If a candidate is representing also another organization that is about to or is already in a contractual engagement with possible conflict of interest, such engagement should be made known to the Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO.
Conflicts of interest will be resolved through discussions by the Right Side’’ human rights defender NGO and the applicant, collectively.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications, which should include the following:
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Proposal for implementing the assignment in one page
- A budget with a description of the expected daily rate for consultation
Please quote “AP Consultant” on the subject line.
Applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us not later
than Monday, 04 December 2017 at 23:59 Yerevan time.